End of Phase 3
At the end of Phase 3, we announced the third and final classification of algorithms.
For Profile 1 (SW), this selection is as follows:
For Profile 2 (HW), this selection is as follows:
What do the categories stand for?
- Portfolio: These are designs that the eSTREAM project selected as the final portfolio of stream ciphers.
- Archived: These are designs which eSTREAM were not selected to the final portfolio.
- Phase 1 Archived: There are designs that were not considered in Phase 2.
- Phase 2 Archived: There are designs that were not considered in Phase 3.
- Phase 3 Archived: There are designs that were considered in Phase 3 but were not selected to the portfolio.
How was the selection made?eSTREAM assembled a panel of experts to consider the information to hand. The panel consisted of Steve Babbage (Vodafone, UK), Christophe De Canniere (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium), Anne Canteaut (INRIA, France ), Carlos Cid (Royal Holloway, University of London, UK), Henri Gilbert (France Telecom R&D, France), Thomas Johansson (Lund University, Sweden), Christof Paar (Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany), Matthew Parker (University of Bergen, Norway), Bart Preneel (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium), Vincent Rijmen (Graz University of Technology, Austria), Matt Robshaw (France Telecom R&D, France) and Hongjun Wu (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium).
The panel studied all information available on these primitives - including the original description, cryptanalysis, performance, responses by authors to analysis, forum discussions - and made the selection. The details are given in the Phase 2 report and the final report.
* The eSTREAM portfolio was revised on September 8, 2008. Details of this
first revision can be found here.