NLS (Phase 3 Profile 1)
- Algorithm Name: NLSv2
Note that only the encryption algorithm of NLSv2 will be considered in the eSTREAM Phase 3. The authentication part of NLSv2 will not be considered in Phase 3.
- Submitters : Gregory Rose, Philip Hawkes, Michael Paddon
and Miriam Wiggers de Vries
- Type of Algorithm : Synchronous Stream Cipher
- Proposed Environment : Profile 1A (SW with authentication)
and 2A (HW with authentication)
- Intellectual Property : Free for any use. statements
- Algorithm Description :
- Article : Primitive Specification for NLSv2, pdf
- Submitted C code: zip
- API-compliant C code: link
- Corrections During Phase 3 :
- The original NLSv2 article is available here. On April 13 2007 an error in the specifications of the Loadkey algorithm was corrected. The source code remains unchanged.
- Archived Pages : Phase 2 page and Phase 1 page
- Cryptanalysis :
- Joo Yeon Cho and Josef Pieprzyk, "Linear Distinguishing Attack on NLS",
pdf, submitted 2006-01-02. (Note that this attack is against NLS instead of NLSv2.)
- Cameron McDonald and Philip Hawkes,
"On Exploiting Adjacent Bits in NLS",
pdf, submitted 2006-08-09. (Note that this attack is against NLS instead of NLSv2.)
- Joo Yeon Cho and Josef Pieprzyk,
"Crossword Puzzle Attack on NLSv2",
pdf, submitted 2006-09-04, updated 2006-11-29.
- Debojyoti Bhattacharya, Debdeep Mukhopadhyay, Dhiman Saha and Dipanwita
RoyChowdhury, "Strengthening NLS Against Crossword Puzzle Attack",
pdf, submitted 2008-01-30.
- Software Performance : link