VEST (Phase 2)
This is the archived eSTREAM Phase 2 page of
Information provided in this page is incomplete. For more details see the following webpages: VEST and the forum discussion.
- Type of algorithm : Synchronous Stream Cipher
- Proposed Environment : Profile 2A (HW with authentication mechanism)
- Algorithm description :
- Article : VEST ciphers, pdf
- Provisional Patent Application : pdf
- Submitted C code: zip
- API-compliant C code: link
- Changes compared to phase 1 : Some minor changes have been
done to the specifications of the VEST ciphers. The
authors do not give the stream cipher a new name, so for clarity we
propose to refer to the phase 2 version as VEST (P2). For the results on the
phase 1 version, please refer to the archived page here.
- Comments by authors concerning versions : VEST is a set of family trees of ciphers of different sizes, speeds and
security ratings. The sizes, proportions, structure and operation of the
ciphers in the four submitted VEST family trees are fixed and have not
changed since phase 1. Only the feedback variables related to the root
ciphers ProVEST-4, ProVEST-8, ProVEST-16 and ProVEST-32 specified in the
appendixes have been changed since phase 1. Those root ciphers have been
renamed to "root VEST-4", "root VEST-8", "root VEST-16" and "root VEST-32"
ciphers to indicate the shift from their provisional status to permanent.
To avoid confusion, these four root ciphers can also be called VEST-4
(P2), VEST-8 (P2), VEST-16 (P2) and VEST-32 (P2).
- Version of description : Some changes have been done to the description and the source, as the
authors explain in the forum. For reference, the original phase 2 description has
been archived: pdf and zip. The authors state
that the new description does not alter the working of VEST.
- Cryptanalysis :
- Antoine Joux and Jean-Rene Reinhard, "Overtaking VEST", pdf, submitted 2007-01-02. (Following this cryptanalysis, the VEST designers proposed a modified version of their algorithm. The modified version of VEST is immune to this attack.)